Lobster are often extensively high priced at the restaurants and that is the reason why they are tagged as the ‘Delicacy for elite classes ‘. But to enjoy this delicacy at cheaper rates you can prepare it at home by yourself and treat your taste buds with this delicacy. Cooking Lobsters isn’t a big deal anymore. Simply follow the guidelines and steps mentioned below to cook a lobster and enjoy this lavish meal at home.
- You need minimal number of ingredients which includes a live lobster, a large pot of seawater/ salted water, butter, bread (optional for dipping into the lobster-infused butter) and a 8-quart large pot for cooking one lobster.
- For cooking lobster preferably try getting sea water in order to retain its flavour. If you don’t have seawater, never mind you can always use salted tap water. To add luscious flavour to lobster add ingredients like bay leaves, parsley, white wine, peppercorn, celery, garlic, carrots or onions to the water and boil it vigorously. Fill at least 3/4th of the pot with this water.
- Get hold of the lobster by its tail, hold it upside down and first insert his head in to the boiling water. Cover the pot and let it boil again.
- Note down the time when it first comes to boil. From that time, let it boil for another 15 minutes (Estimation for cooking 1 lobster only).
- Once the lobsters are cooked properly they will turn to a bright red colour. If the lobsters are large enough they might turn to bright red colour even before they are properly cooked. So make sure you note down the proper timings and time the cooking.
- To double check if the lobster is properly cooked, try to lightly pull on its antenna. If it comes out easily, your lobster is cooked properly else cook it for few more minutes and serve it hot!
- While serving you might want to enhance you dish by serving it with some melted butter, mayonnaise and other sauces.
- Make sure that you don’t overcook it else it becomes very hard gristly.
Experts say that the wisest and the best way to cook a lobster is to steam or boil it. However, there are other alternative methods that you can use to cook a lobster. Grilling a lobster is one of the other methods that you can follow.
- Boil the lobster for 5 minutes and drain the remnant water away.
- Keep the lobster upturned on cutting board and slice it from the middle with a knife.
- Remove tomalley (green stuff), its black vein and sand sac (located in the head area).
- Grease the lobster with melted butter, seasoned oil or with melted seasoned butter such as garlic, herbs etc.
- Grill the lobster for good 10-12 minutes. When the lobster is coked properly you will notice that the meat is white and cloudy in its appearance.
- Serve it hot, immediately with some extra butter that you used before for greasing it.
So simply follow these steps next time you invite your relatives and friends over dinner and serve them with the most luring, mouth-watering and delectable dish!